The home of the haikulator



Sentence Generators
My Stand-up & gigs
The Coding Craftsman

The Musical!
Incredible Productions


Previous Posts

I've always maintained that staying awake is the b...
I was in plenty of time to check in. The plane, ho...
This was my last day in the office until after my ...
Got to work on time, despite my longest ever commu...
The weekend visit of my visitor, a lady, had been ...
I think it's fair to say that this Monday started ...
After much rest and relaxation, we took a trip to ...
Whoopsie. I accidently forgot to blog for over six...
I'm a wreck With my plans for January, February an...
Action packed weekend The weekend was so action pa...

Blog Archives

October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
August 2009
September 2009
January 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
October 2011
December 2011
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
September 2013
October 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
May 2014
July 2014
January 2015
February 2015
March 2015
April 2015
May 2015
June 2015
July 2015
August 2015
January 2016
February 2016
March 2016
April 2016
May 2016
July 2016
August 2017
January 2018
August 2018
September 2018
July 2019
August 2019
May 2020
June 2020
July 2020
August 2020
September 2020
December 2020
January 2021
July 2021
September 2021

Monday, March 7

I probably awoke at a more respectable hour on this day. In fact, I know I did. I was due a trip into the big smoke that is the big apple of New York City in New York state. Yeah.

So, the day started at Dunkin' Donuts. Let's get our priorities straight. Sure, my host had work to do, and I had explorin' to do, but we needed our boilers stoked with some coffee, some breakfast style food and the sugar high that comes from a donut or two. After breakfast, my host received a phone call and I sauntered off to the garage to buy some chewing gum. I may have bought a newspaper as well - this was for my imminent rail journey. The most effective way to get to New York City, from our location in New Jersey, was to take the train. I was dropped off in New Brunswick, near the location of the comedy club, and I set about taking the train. It's really not difficult. There's a line and you get on it... preferably in the direction that's headed into New York.

I arrived in New York and got off at the correct station, having been forewarned that there is a station that comes up earlier than I needed to get off that is, in fact, a bogus stop and not the one I should get off at. Geddit? Me neither, but I didn't get off at the wrong location, which was nice.

I arrived in New York city, with my mobile phone in my pocket, and got a text message. It was from someone in Newcastle wanting the telephone number of someone in Carlisle. I didn't realise that text even worked over there. It looked like it might be an urgent request, so I satisfied it and asked the person who made it to help me publicise The Musical! - I was hoping she'd send round a round-robin email. This didn't happen. Such is life.

I then set about wandering around New York City with no particular agenda. This is potentially dangerous territory. I've remarked before that I am at my worst and most impulsive when I have no agenda. I might find myself, on impulse, joining a cult and flying to Indonesia - assuming I can fit it in between commitments. Anyway, I made it my mission to buy a small streetmap. It was interesting to note that the price of the map bears no relation to its size. I paid quite a few bucks for this so-called map. Still, it gave me some concept of where the hell I was, which was nice.

The problem with wandering round New York is that I've done it before. I didn't really fancy wandering around any museums, nor did I want to go to the job of the Empire State building at that stage. I would have quite enjoyed going to the top of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center again, but sadly they were demolished in a tragedy back in September 2001, so they were closed. Even wandering down to ground zero didn't seem worth doing, since I had done that on my last trip.

I didn't really want to do any shopping in New York, since there was nothing in particular that I wanted to own. I was interested in Broadway - more specifically which shows are playing there. I was also due to see a show that evening on the aforementioned street. I was to be met by my hosts and we were going to see Spamalot which is the Monty Python musical, written by Eric Idle. I was really looking forward to that. In the absence of a plan, I headed to Times Square and had a wander around the theatre district of New York. Then, I headed up town to Central Park and had a long walk around that. That's always worth doing. If nothing else, I needed to walk off the diet of fat and sugar in which I'd been indulging myself since my trip to Southampton the previous week.

On the way to Central Park, I stopped at a cart on the street and bought a Pretzel. This came with a dusting of small white pellets which I took to be salt. They were salt. Boy, it would have been funnier if they'd turned out to be small diamonds, or portions of crack-cocaine... but no... I'd paid a dollar for a pretzel, salt was about all the vendor was going to be able to afford to cover my dough-based snack with. However, the salt was in some sort of roughly-ground natural state. It was really strong. After a few bites, my mouth had shrunk to half of its normal size. I was seriously in need of liquid. All I could taste was salt. I took to brushing the rest of the salt chunks (for they weren't a dusting or pellets, they were CHUNKS) off the pretzel and trying to eat it without. The salt had left its mark and this bread-like snack turned out to be one of the saltiest things I've ever tasted, and I've been in the Dead Sea... and perhaps a little of that seawater got into my mouth... so that would have been really salty. However, my primary memory of saltiness is this New York pretzel. Anyway, it's not important. I ate it. Then I had a drink. Then everything was better.

During my wandering through Central Park, I received a phone call. The call was from a comedy club in Liverpool, which I was due to play an open spot at on Thursday night. They asked if I was still coming. I confirmed the start time and that I was coming. I felt quite laid back about it, despite the fact that I take open-spot gigs like this quite seriously these days. It's quite important that, if I'm going to put the effort into gigging for free, I get somewhere with them. However, it was hard to be too eager over the phone. I felt really cool. I felt like saying - "Yeah... I'll be there on Thursday, I'm just going to finish this stroll through Central Park, yes, that's Central Park in New York, America... oh, yeah... it's the jetsetting life for me... yes... I'm a shit comedian, but luckily I've got a real job, so I can afford to have fun... yes... I'm sorry... I'll just come and do my crappy little songs for you. Thank you. Bye." Sad, isn't it, when your fantasies don't have happy endings! Anyway, I was just pleasant and professional as I took the call and then I put the phone away and enjoyed the late-wintry air of Central Park some more.

After leaving Central Park, I toyed with the idea of going into Tiffany & Co. - a bit like Audrey Hepburn often didn't in the movie where she had breakfast outside the very shop I stopped at. I looked in the window. They had mirror balls. I'm a big fan of mirror balls. I have two! Indeed, I can make people laugh with my proper big mirror ball and motor - provided it's in context. Actually, I didn't feel any good reason for entering Tiffany & Co. I felt a bit scruffy. I thought their mirror balls actually looked tacky and there was nothing I would have bought inside the shop, even if I'd seen something which I thought was within my means to buy. So I walked past.

The day was flying by and my isolation from society at large, as I wandered the streets, was doing me some good. I probably benefitted from the exercise too. I took lunch at a Subway, interested to see how it compared with the one in Newcastle I've been using a lot recently. It was virtually identical - even down to the table of lads next to me, who were from Newcastle. I decided not to talk to them.

I wandered over to EasyInternet, Stelios's straightforward internet cafe, and went online for a bit. I chatted to my U.K. ladyfriend over the net, following it up with a phone call for a few minutes. I may have been a few thousand miles away, but I had the technology to communicate, so why not!?

After this I went shopping. I was looking for any musicals stuff that I might like to bring home with me. I chose nothing. Some of the street sellers were selling nice little pictures, but they looked like they'd inkjet-printed them off the internet, so I decided not to bother. I went into a music shop and browsed sheet music and found it to be consistently expensive. I remembered that I have no NEED for many of these things and I'm only inclined to buy when I feel like I'm getting the privilege of a good bargainous price. So, I walked away having experienced the existence of these goods without having experienced the effort of paying for them.

Soon it was time to meet with my friends. We met in a fast food restaurant - I think it was McDonald's (could have been Burger King). I noticed that the restaurant had a Broadway theme and even showed a marquee (that's American for banner-in-front-of-theatre) for Titanic The Musical. This ill-fated ship had spawned a musical whose CD had suffered a similar body-cracking fate when it was sent by an ebayer to me a few weeks previously. Luckily, I had new copies of this musical waiting for me in my bedroom back in New Jersey, having ordered them from the U.S. Amazon. I also had copies of Avenue Q, a musical I'd heard a little about and thought might be entertaining. Anyway, this was not an evening for either of those two other shows, which I would not be listening to for some weeks to come. This evening was about Spamalot.

On my travels, I'd already located the theatre. It's in the same street as The Producers and Phantom of the Opera, and it was opposite Fiddler on the Roof. Such is the way that the dense theatre district operates. As a show, it was certainly in good company. I'd located some nearby eateries and we headed over to see if we could get some pre-show food. The eateries I'd located were soon passed over for another, nearby, and delightful Italian place. We ate heartily and were ready for the show.

On the way to the show, we spotted John Lithgow in the throng of people enterting the theatre. We were certainly in good company. This show was popular. As I'd picked up my pre-ordered tickets, I'd watched the box office staff disappointing various callers who were hoping to see the show and were offering increasingly ludicrous suggestions as a way in - "Oh... I don't need a seat. I'll just stand... at the back... in the gallery... I'll face away from the stage too if you wish... I'll sell ice-cream while I'm at it... no?". A popular show it was indeed.

We watched the show. I had mixed feelings about it. I intend to write a review. If I do, you'll read my feelings on the subject. I did enjoy a lot of it and was impressed by how many of the scenes from Monty Python and the Holy Grail had managed to make it to the stage in some form or other. I also laughed extensively at one gag. The cast were talented and it was good to share the same air as heroes like Tim Curry, Hank Azaria and David Hyde Pierce (him from Frasier). My feelings were still mixed.

A drive home, following the show (my hosts having driven to New York) and we were soon tucked up in bed. I only had one full day left in the U.S.


Post a Comment

<< Home

All content ©2001 - 2020 Ashley Frieze