The home of the haikulator



Sentence Generators
My Stand-up & gigs
The Coding Craftsman

The Musical!
Incredible Productions


Previous Posts

As with many of the days I spend in the UK, I mana...
My last day in New Jersey. It had been a good trip...
Waking up on a Tuesday is never easy to do, unless...
I probably awoke at a more respectable hour on thi...
I've always maintained that staying awake is the b...
I was in plenty of time to check in. The plane, ho...
This was my last day in the office until after my ...
Got to work on time, despite my longest ever commu...
The weekend visit of my visitor, a lady, had been ...
I think it's fair to say that this Monday started ...

Blog Archives

October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
August 2009
September 2009
January 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
October 2011
December 2011
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
September 2013
October 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
May 2014
July 2014
January 2015
February 2015
March 2015
April 2015
May 2015
June 2015
July 2015
August 2015
January 2016
February 2016
March 2016
April 2016
May 2016
July 2016
August 2017
January 2018
August 2018
September 2018
July 2019
August 2019
May 2020
June 2020
July 2020
August 2020
September 2020
December 2020
January 2021
July 2021
September 2021

Friday, March 11

I woke up late.

It wasn't a surprise. I was exhausted. When you burn the candle at both ends, you get more light, but you end up with a short stubby candle. I was burning it in the middle too, so I was, unsurprisingly, sleeping like a pool of wax in the bed. I took quite some peeling off the sheets, I can tell you. I believe I rang in to let them know that I hadn't completely disappeared and that I would be turning up for an afternoon half day.

So, I went to work and caught up with the emails and progress that had happened in my absence. I did what little I could in the time available and then headed home, via a supermarket. I had a visitor for the weekend and I wanted to cook. I like to cook and I rarely do it these days. My chopping boards used to be used for chopping vegetables or slicing raw meat; nowadays it's usually slicing tomatoes and cucumber for sandwiches. I was keen to prepare a splendid pasta bake for my guest. I'd made one before I went to the states and it had been very good - in fact, I took some of it with me on my flying trip to Southampton to demonstrate how nice it was. However, cold pasta bake leftovers are not as impressive as the real thing.

So I made the real thing. I even put in little suprises, in the form of pools of buffalo mozzarella. It was prepared and ready to be assembled and oven-baked as soon as my guest arrived. I probably did some other vaguely domestic things around the place as I waited. I'm like that. I had, for the previous visit of this person, rearranged my dining room back into the shape of a dining room. Guests bring out the home-maker in me. The dining room had been turned into a pseudo-fringe-theatre back in April 2004 and had remained as such during preparations for The Musical! right the way up to the Edinburgh festival. On returning from the festival, I was always too busy with one thing or another to get my arse into gear and put my back into tidying the room. Then, one day I'm expecting a visitor and I can be bothered. Interesting. Interesting also, that I put the room back into the shape of a dining room only a few days before it was due to be used as a rehearsal room again for the re-run of the show which had made its home there for the last year.

Anyway, I digress. It's probably best that I do, since there's not a huge amount that I want to say about the weekend which followed. Friday night was good, and the rest of the weekend is was a haze of relaxation and company. Just what was needed.


Post a Comment

<< Home

All content ©2001 - 2020 Ashley Frieze