The home of the haikulator



Sentence Generators
My Stand-up & gigs
The Coding Craftsman

The Musical!
Incredible Productions


Previous Posts

I'll skip the fact that I spent a day in the offic...
Two things were due to happen on this Sunday. My w...
I woke up late. It wasn't a surprise. I was exhau...
As with many of the days I spend in the UK, I mana...
My last day in New Jersey. It had been a good trip...
Waking up on a Tuesday is never easy to do, unless...
I probably awoke at a more respectable hour on thi...
I've always maintained that staying awake is the b...
I was in plenty of time to check in. The plane, ho...
This was my last day in the office until after my ...

Blog Archives

October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
August 2009
September 2009
January 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
October 2011
December 2011
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
September 2013
October 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
May 2014
July 2014
January 2015
February 2015
March 2015
April 2015
May 2015
June 2015
July 2015
August 2015
January 2016
February 2016
March 2016
April 2016
May 2016
July 2016
August 2017
January 2018
August 2018
September 2018
July 2019
August 2019
May 2020
June 2020
July 2020
August 2020
September 2020
December 2020
January 2021
July 2021
September 2021

Tuesday, March 15

Panicked about the absence of a techie, I spent some of the day desperately looking for a way to get in touch with the guy we'd used in Edinburgh. It struck me that it might make sense to find someone who knew the show to use as techie. They would only need to learn the equipment and revise the position of the cues in the action. This made increasing sense and I became more and more keen to find the guy we used in Edinburgh. The problem is that I didn't have a number for him. I didn't know his surname and I couldn't remember the name of his band. It looked increasingly impossible to locate him. I tried asking for help from the venue who employed him and gave him to us. They were, unsurprisingly, tied up with other stuff and didn't help us very much.

I was onto plan G and had taken to begging some of my team mates from the office to help. They were looking like maybes... but it was also looking like an increasing risk that I'd be nipping off stage to do the technical stuff myself. I really had absolutely no idea what I was going to do. There was an audience coming. People were out there selling tickets and I had sold maybe 60 or so in person (and I knew there were more people coming on the night)... but the show couldn't function without technical support.

Could we turn this around? It was looking like a problem.

I started having strange ideas to solve the problem. I put out feelers and reckoned that I may be able to make it work with a complete technical novice and a drama student who was originally meant to be watching the show. It was far from ideal.

However, I put all these problems to the back of my mind when we did the dress rehearsal. The dress went very well. So, if I could solve the technical problems, we had a show. Oh... and there were 3 more to do after too. This was expected to be stressful... but it was exceeding expectations.

Still, the show still seemed a long way off (it wasn't) so I kept my head. It's amazing how much you can fit into a couple of days. We had, brought the show up to speed. We'd also done a little editing of the script. We improvised a couple of scenes to "fix" some moments that never really worked on stage in Edinburgh. We put in the "Tuna Ciabatta" routine and found a "Writer's block" gag which finally worked. I accept that this will mean nothing to anyone who didn't see the show, but they meant something to us. We had something new to present in the show and we had a performance which was intended to be as good (if not better) than any we'd done before. It was an exciting time as well as stressful. Could all the loose ends come together in time?


Post a Comment

<< Home

All content ©2001 - 2020 Ashley Frieze