However, despite the fact that one particular section will need sanding with some ferocity, and despite the fact that I'll probably have to patch the plastering a bit more, once the skirting board is fitted, I think I did a reasonable enough job last night. This morning I have a tickly throat, no doubt from all the dust I generated in the other room, where I sanded over previous bits of wall-patching (using a sort of non-plaster, rather than the stuff I was using last night).
Although I only put in a scant couple of hours last night, I felt like I was actually motivated to do things, and I'm looking forward to Saturday, when I hope to actually attach some skirting board to the wall. This will undoubtedly prove stressful, but I can look forward to it now, while it's still only an idea. Once the skirting boards are fitted, the unsightly walls (and they're a really bad combination of lots of different types and styles of plaster - from brand new damp-proofed plaster through my own efforts to previous years' bodges) will be covered in lining paper which will then be painted. This will make the rooms look very good. I've never done wallpapering before, so maybe I'll mess it up. However, there's no pattern on lining paper, so that should make the job easier. In addition, I'm going to use the highest-grade of lining paper in order to make it give the best coverage. I'm sure it'll work out fine.
I hope it will.
I'm a professional computer programmer.
The DIY is just a sideline.