This is the only week night this week that I'd earmarked for DIY, so I headed home in time to meet a queue of tradesmen and bills that needed paying. Some £2000 lighter, I had paid 5 tradesmen by the end of today, and as an encore I went off to the B&Q end of town to pick up some items and my housemate (who works in a nearby industrial estate, rather than in an orange apron).
To be honest, if I'd been cracking the whip, we'd have been DIYing much sooner, but we went for food and a catch up. We're friends from years and years ago, but I've not seen more than a fleeting glimpse of the guy since he moved in a week and a half ago, and we had much catching up to do.
However, there were also DIY tasks to do, so off we set, doing them. I won't detail exactly how, but the end of the evening yielded the following results:
- A new light switch - so now the kitchen light can be turned on/off at either end of the room - the wiring was there, but the switch wasn't on
- The fresh plaster in the kitchen has some paint on it
- The paint that was going brown in the kitchen through damp penetration has now been sealed so the next coat won't brown
- The damp patches in the upstairs ceilings have been similarly treated
- The larger of the two attic rooms now has a coat of paint on its fresh plaster
In other news, the kitchen units were all delivered today, which would be perfect if the order had been completed 100% successfully. Looks like a little debugging may be required tomorrow morning.
Also the bathroom is now largely tiled and I even bought a nice toilet seat for its toilet. I always think that that's the main bit you use - other than the running water.
The house moves on apace. I wonder where it will all be by the weekend.