The story of the external hard disks from eBay continued today when the enclosures arrived to join the disks on my desk. I hadn't got a screwdriver with me and I was expecting to have to wait until I brought it in before I could assemble these devices. For the purpose of experimentation I opened up a box and discovered that no tools were required - save for a paperclip to release a catch. Brilliant.
I assembled and got the first drive working in about 3 minutes. I did the same with the second. Sadly, the third drive doesn't work, so now I have to go to the trouble of returning the drive for replacement before I can think about selling them back on eBay at profit. When I say profit, I, of course, mean "a slight loss". Brilliant!